Thursday, January 27, 2011

January Daring Bakers: Biscuit Joconde Imprime Entremets

Don't worry, you don't have to be able to pronounce the name in order to enjoy the beauty and taste of this month's Daring Bakers Challenge.  It's french, and the french know their desserts, so smile and nod and dig right in!

But, first things first.  I had no reason to be nervous about my interview with the Master Gardeners selection committee on Tuesday.  The panel was kind and wonderful...and they let me in!  Hooray!!! I now have about 200 hours of training to go through, two years as an intern, and then I'll have earned my way into the program.  I am so excited, and can't wait to get started.  The first class isn't until the end of February, so I'll have to contain my excitement for a little while longer, so let's just move on to the cake.

The January 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Astheroshe of the blog accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make a Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremets dessert.

 A biscuit joconde imprime is sponge cake with a design baked right into the cake itself. Two separate batters are made, each with it's own flavor and/or color.  The first batter is either piped or spread onto the sil-pat into any type of pattern desired. I used my decorating bag and piped out a crazy swirl of blue batter on the sil-pat, then added polka dots, and then stopped myself before things swerved too much further out of control.


After the first design is frozen, a second layer of batter is spread over top the first layer. 


This the joconde imprime is then baked, and strips are cut out to line a springform pan.
In hindsight, I should have put the bottom layer upside down.


The joconde imprime was the required part of the challenge.
How to fill the dessert was left up to each Daring Baker...and, since this was my own birthday cake, I felt really free to put whatever flavors of filling I wanted to on the interior.
For the bottom layer, I made a raspberry/blueberry mousse.


Atop this layer, I spread a layer of rosewater gelee.  Unfortunately, the mylanta pink liquid seeped through the joconde imprime, leaving unsightly botches on the outside. 
However, it was my own cake and I chose not to feel too bad about it!


Atop the gelee, I glopped on a layer of orange water infused stabilized whipped cream.
The final layer was a blueberry rosewater sauce.


I loved making this challenge, and I loved the result.  The rest of the family just about gagged on the rosewater flavoring, but I relished the new flavor.  This challenge really brought out the best of so many other Daring Bakers.  The artistry of the imprime was astounding, and the flavor combinations that people came up with were mind blowing as well.

Someday soon I'm going to have to try the chocolate version of the joconde recipe, maybe filled with chocolate mousse and topped with caramel?  What about marshmallow fluff and peanut butter?  Perhaps the world's fanciest strawberry shortcake?  The sky is the limit with this dessert! 

Even if I still can't pronounce it exactly right...

4 comments:

  1. I was so impressed when you showed us your finished Joconde at the forum. Totally inspiring and beautiful! Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I loved your Joconde as soon as you posted it at the forum! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'll be...you've opened my eyes to another wonder! Never seen it or heard of it before but I think I could give it a go....for a very special occasion.
    Hope you had a lovely birthday. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pattern its very bold, somewhat dreamtime like as well.

    ReplyDelete