Sunday, November 21, 2010

In winter's grip

It's really hard to believe our yard ever looked like this:


We're thickly blanketed in snow, more snow is falling, and now our world looks like this:


Tomorrow night we'll be down in the single digits on the thermometer. I can feel my blood cooling and thickening, and the urge to just hibernate under the bedcovers is strong.

We brought our five goldfish in from the pond today, and put the winter-safe water-dish in the hens' pen, and put a heatlamp in their coop. Thermal underwear is not a fashion statement anymore--it's a requirement to keep the joints from seizing.

Hot tea, hot cocoa, hot coffee. This holy trinity is all that bouys me and stands between me and the sweetly beckoning bed upstairs.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

3 comments:

  1. Ummm, what do the bees do? Do you have to protect the hive? Or feed them? Or do they just hybernate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you've got snow? We had 60-degree temps the last few days. Unseasonably warm. Today it's more normal at 48 degrees.

    Hope you enjoy the snow! (I always like it for the first month or so. But then I'm done.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa~ We have lots of snow, lots of wind, and today's high is supposed to be a balmy 9 degrees F. So far, we haven't even made it up to zero, so I'm not holding my breath.
    Tanya~ I tried to take photos of the beehives for you this morning, but the camera won't work in the cold.

    ReplyDelete