Saturday, October 17, 2009

Aebleskivers (by Kat)


A-bull-skee-vur

As a very young girl, I lived in a magical town with large oak trees and beautiful fountains. There were more bakeries than I could count using all my fingers, and all the men and all the women wore bright and beautiful clothes. The women's skirts twirled when swirled, with layers upon layers of petticoats underneath. I know, because I was just the right size to see.

It was a long walk into town, I think five whole blocks, and on the days we walked I would be late getting home for my nap. The park was between us and the town, and the park had a stream. I never wanted to leave, knowing that "home" also meant "naptime."

Every year in this magical town, there was an aebleskiver festival. The cars in the town had to go find another place to be, because during the festival only us people were allowed to be in the street, and we didn't even have to look both ways, either. It was pretty big magic.

I was very sad to move away from our magic town, but maybe I was lucky at the same time. How and when would the magical veil be lifted from my eyes had we stayed? Because we left when I was six, and because I haven't ever been back, I only know it as a fairyland.

You can't tell me it's any different.

One tradition that stayed with our family after we moved from Solvang, California, was aebleskivers. I eat them with the same zeal I did as a kid, and I swear they taste a little like magic to me, even after all these years.

If you're lucky enough to find one of these pans at a junk store, buy it! They're often labeled as fritter pans or egg poachers, but they're neither one. Don't try to explain what an aebleskiver is to anyone, because the human mind just can't envision the magic that goes into making a spherical food out of batter.

Believe me, I've tried to explain so many times...

First of all, measure 2 cups of flour into a large bowl.
Add 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 tablespoon sugar.


Add two cups of buttermilk and mix together, lumps are okay.


Beat 2 eggwhites until stiff and fold in.
Then add 1/2 cup of melted butter.

Make sure your pan is very hot, and add just a little oil to each indentation.
Scoop some batter in, filling the hole entirely.
Immediately begin turning each aebleskiver about 1/4 to 1/3 turn.


When the last aebleskiver has been turned, it's time to begin
giving each another bit of a turn.


Keep going.


Eventually, they'll be flipped over entirely.
They should be tall and perfectly round.


It takes a while to find the right pace of scooping, rotating, and rotating.
Too fast, and they fall in on themselves.
Too slow, and you run out of liquid batter before getting back to the bottom.

But seriously, this is worth it, people.
Totally worth it!


Serve with jam and powdered sugar.
(and magic!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment